great questions to ask on residency interview reddit

Posted By on Jan 1, 2021 | 0 comments

(This is true of all interviews- not just residency interviews! And don’t forget to ask follow up questions! Or about their evening. Ask questions that show … Here's what you can expect from the residency interview process, including the role of the interview in the application process. 1. Ask the program coordinator for a list of the interviewers and if they prefer snail mail or email. Explaining your reasoning out loud as you respond to the question will demonstrate your thought process, even if you struggle to arrive at the answer. Because why not? ... think of some of the questions that they might ask you - we've given you a head start by listing over a hundred questions you might hear on your interview, so click on the link below to download the list. We have included a list of relevant questions that you can ask the residency program. 2. After going on 15 interviews in the past year, I eventually matched into a family medicine residency in New Jersey. )When it comes to strengths, it can feel very awkward to try and “sell yourself.” Especially if you are a more shy or introverted person. If you are at all confused, ask clarifying questions. Job interviews should feel like a conversation, with two people asking and answering questions. I’ve also put a PDF and an image of all 350 good questions to ask at the bottom of the page. Overall, the take home message is this: if you have a bad experience on interview … Telling me about cooking something great for dinner or playing catch with their kid is very different than a program where everyone tells me about the work they did. Ask every resident to tell you about their weekend. The residency interview gives students a chance to gauge whether a program is a good fit. With an additional 84 professionally written interview answer examples. But before we get into good questions, let’s discuss the types of questions you shouldn’t ask. Your job is to doctor, not case manage. What is the average days off in 2nd and 3rd year? May I see a list of residency programs to which this school's recent graduates were accepted? Most of the programs I interviewed at had a question about personal reflection and growth (ie. Good luck! Check this out. AAFP. Top rated questions to ask residency programs. Don't Forget to Ask: Advice from Residents on What to Ask During the Residency Interview The process of applying and interviewing for a residency position is complicated and can be stressful. Good questions to ask. Take note if the only examples they give you are planned events the residents are supposed to attend. (Info / ^Contact). Its nice to have options and not be in a more or less food desert because the sun goes down. 35. in residency interviews. Some of these are things that you can do before even applying, while some others are things that you can do throughout your actual application cycle.. What process do you have for improving the residency? 1. Are you working 24s, or even overnight 12s? 1. it's another way of asking what the weakness of the program is but it's an inventive way and also a quick way to make it lighter, It could go either way, I had a lot of ambiguous answers with that question. What’s their social work/case management situation? It’s a great idea to consider your answers ahead of time to feel better prepared. Your tips are very practical and have given me a systematic way to approach my interviews. Reimbursement for loupes, conferences, educational materials? Here we provide best collection of residency programs questions. It’s a great idea to consider your answers ahead of time to feel better prepared. Interviews for residency. You don't want to be broke by comparison. 50 Most Common Medical Residency Interview Questions. Knowing which questions to ask at your residency interview can make a good impression with the people who may decide if you are a good fit in the program. (Info / ^Contact) Here they are- Also check- Questions to ask when viewing a house / Questions to ask your unfaithful spouse Questions To Ask… Ask Questions. Below is my advice for doing well on family medicine interviews, based on my own experiences and my conversations with several family medicine residency program directors. Knowing which questions to ask at your residency interview can make a good impression with the people who may decide if you are a good fit in the program. Dear Dr. Yoffe. Plan to treat every interview as though it counts and do not use your first interview as “practice,” because you may find that you really like the program. Prepare as if it were a real interview: review your answers to specific questions, have a list of questions you plan to ask, and if possible, dress as if it were a real interview… I’ve also put a PDF and an image of all 350 good questions to ask at the bottom of the page. Someone has linked to this thread from another place on reddit: [r/u_yodablitz] Best questions to ask to learn about a residency program, If you follow any of the above links, please respect the rules of reddit and don't vote in the other threads. With 350 questions to choose from, I’m confident that everyone can find plenty of good questions to ask! Why You Need to Ask Questions Laundry. Cost of living in the area? But subspecialty support at night could be something to worry about. Your step 1 score is much more important than you think.. What are some good questions for residency interviews? I ask … Do you anticipate any changes to the program or hospital in the next few years? Authored By: Timothy P. Gauthier, Pharm.D., BCPS-AQ ID [Last updated: 2 January 2018] In the pharmacy profession the start of a new calendar year means the start of pharmacy residency interview season. If the place is recruiting hard and takes it seriously they'll answer a lot of questions before you ask. A sample table is shown: Residency programs comparison - Interview process The cost of residency interviews Several factors —some financial, some career-related—influence the amount of money you’ll spend interviewing for residency. I don't have laundry service, but I hear its nice. While you're preparing, make a list of bullet points you want to mention in each answer, but don't memorize your … This is a subreddit specifically for interns and residents to get together and discuss issues concerning their training and medicine/surgery. I am surprised more interview candidates are not on this page commeting. Most odd interview questions are intended to assess your critical thinking skills. During your residency interview, you will likely be asked a lot of questions about your experience, background and goals. Plan to treat every interview as though it counts and do not use your first interview as “practice,” because you may find that you really like the program. I actually added your blog to my favorites and will look forward for more updates. Ask it in an intellectual way. (Is Columbus day a Holiday? New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. What's constructive feedback you've gotten and how has it changed you as a medical learner for the better). Beyond the opportunity to leave a great impression, residency program interviews give you the rare chance to assess whether a program is the right fit for you—but only if you ask the ... Get six key tips to help you excel on video interviews for residency. Job interviews should feel like a conversation, with two people asking and answering questions. Quite often, there is no “right” answer. Do they go to their preferred program? I actually added your blog to my favorites and will look forward for more updates. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. It takes the core list of competencies that are required to be a good resident and physician and then develops a series of questions that will allow the interviewer to explore your past performance in these areas. But I got good responses from a few of these, How many of your attendings trained here? Some questions are best answered by other residents in the program, and some questions you will need to ask yourself. As someone who conducts interviews, I can attest that these applicants often are very prepared and are great to speak to. A question that General should not draw answers relating to work in my opinion. Tip #1: Step 1 Score Is Critical. 5 key tips to get into the right residency program You’ll then have a better sense of which questions you want to spend more time preparing for. Authored By: Timothy P. Gauthier, Pharm.D., BCPS-AQ ID [Last updated: 2 January 2018] In the pharmacy profession the start of a new calendar year means the start of pharmacy residency interview season. Do we have access to data analysts or data collection support? After my first few interviews, it became apparent that most residency interviews tend to be more conversational and relaxed. Be prepared to respond to variations on the themes of the questions listed below. While you're preparing, make a list of bullet points you want to mention in each answer, but don't memorize your … Questions to Ask During the Interview. Interview Preparation with USMLEsarthi. How much autonomy do 4s and 5s have in the operating room? And depends on your read of the interviewer. What kind of feedback system to you use?". This may be a "way too early" post for interview season, but getting the ERAS application together has me thinking about some good questions to ask all residency programs. Have some questions of your own: Students should feel free to make the interview a two-way conversation and ask about aspects of the program they may be … Most odd interview questions are intended to assess your critical thinking skills. When applying to a general surgery program, what questions would you ask residents/faculty and what answers might be a major red flag versus a major positive sign for a particular program? I'm a bot, bleep, bloop. It's quick to learn and affordable. This process involves both “selling” yourself to a program, as well as collecting the information that you will need in … I tend to always ask about the experiences they list and which one meant something in particular. Asking questions is a great way to dig into the company culture and the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job so that, should you be hired, your first week or so in the position won't be accompanied by any major surprises. HR benefits stuff (really only helpful if you end up seeing two places as a tie) like retirement benefits matching and health insurance. Whether you're applying to residency positions through CaRMS or ERAS as a local applicant or an international medical graduate, you need to prepare for your residency interviews.In this blog, I'll go over both common and surprising residency interview questions and discuss the intent behind each question. Practice 39 Residency Interview Questions with professional interview answer examples with advice on how to answer each question. I have noticed many questions about the program side of ERAS, interview questions, process questions, and what to wear to an interview. 2 might not be good enough exposure, but I cover 7 at my program and it's too many. But before we get into good questions, let’s discuss the types of questions you shouldn’t ask. You’ll then have a better sense of which questions you want to spend more time preparing for. During your residency interview, you will likely be asked a lot of questions about your experience, background and goals. You should follow the lead of your interviewer and prioritize giving them information about yourself, but know that interviewers expect you to ask questions, too. These six tips are what you need to know before you start applying to residency.. October 17, 2012 . This is a subreddit specifically for interns and residents to get together and discuss issues concerning their training and medicine/surgery. Call system, food compensation, parking reimbursement are probably the 3 most important things, And moonlight opportunity (internal or external), This x 100. (I don't remotely recommend you asking about this one). Is didactics mandatory in all rotations? What does teaching look like on inpt rotations? Do you have passionate attendings? 5 key tips to get into the right residency program Ask questions that show … "Tell me about your friends in residency". Questions to ask residency programs by questionsgems. Maybe it depends on how you ask it. These will definitely help you. Questions to Ask Yourself. Here's how it works: we've created 90+ videos of strong, stellar answers to the most common, highest-yield residency interview questions. Try to be creative as you can and have fun with the questions. Here are commonly asked internal medicine residency interview questions. Be prepared for your interview with these tips from ACP. Residency interview questions are what you need to be prepared for when it comes to interviewing. Could be funny or not). Someone has linked to this thread from another place on reddit: [r/u_yodablitz] Best questions to ask to learn about a residency program If you follow any of the above links, please respect the rules of reddit and don't vote in the other threads. You could notice the positive reaction from the recruiter and I have the 3rd and final interview next Tuesday. I personally got a lot of mileage out of the "what kind of person SHOULDN'T come here" question, but it's probably only an appropriate question for specialties that try to recruit you hard when you have other equally reasonable choices (think big, academic IM programs that need to fill). What do they tell you? Number of major cases residents do by the time they graduate, how confident the current 5s feel about operating on their own, if the attendings are comfortable letting the 5s operate unsupervised (this may be hard to get a good answer), if you’re interested in fellowships do people match? Something to get at staffing -are docs employed by the hospital, a group, how long, any issues with that contract? Really, what exactly is an acceptable weakness answer without spinning it. How much (if any) guidance do you get on career/fellowship? You should follow the lead of your interviewer and prioritize giving them information about yourself, but know that interviewers expect you to ask questions, too. Here they are- Also check- Questions to ask when viewing a house / Questions to ask your unfaithful spouse Questions To Ask… The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) created a list of key questions physicians-in-training recommend students ask to learn important information about residency programs. Pay attention to the answers. After my first few interviews, it became apparent that most residency interviews tend to be more conversational and relaxed. How many residents have left the program in the past 5 years? Top 10 Residency Interview Questions You will ... you to volunteer incriminating information but look carefully at your application and preemptively prepare for any hard questions they might ask. What to research about a residency program before an interview: Elaborating a table with the programs in which you will interview can help to summarize important information, it can also help to compare between them. Heading towards these interviews there can be a lot of curiosity about what to expect from […] With 350 questions to choose from, I’m confident that everyone can find plenty of good questions to ask! A list of pharmacy residency interview questions is provided here. Questions to Ask As you plan your medical career and go through the match process, you may want to consider asking the following questions. Asking questions is a great way to dig into the company culture and the specific day-to-day responsibilities of the job so that, should you be hired, your first week or so in the position won't be accompanied by any major surprises. Anyone have any fun/good ideas? Medical Residency Interview Questions You Will be Asked You should be prepared to talk eloquently about anything and everything on your resume (curriculum vitae), including your extra-curricular activities, research project work, medical residency personal statement, work experiences, and ERAS application. Generally, recruiters are interested in candidates who use clear, methodical or creative and lateral angles to achieve specific objectives. There is such thing as too much feedback, believe me. Where have your residents gone after graduation? "What surprised you the most about transitioning from medical school to residency?". (You want some diversity in academic background, but this will also tell you if the place is worth sticking around for). Residency. Program Questions. 3. Quite often, there is no “right” answer. Ask Questions. If there are two thoracic, two HPB, two vascular, and a colorectal fellow, expect to see a tiny amount of the good cases, How many hospitals will you cover? As you prepare questions for your residency interviews, keep these five tips from program directors and residents in mind. Here we’ll provide an overview of the most common residency interview questions and why interviewers ask them. This one is great, I used it last week on my interview and it worked. It may seem like a small nitpick, but with something you so heavily rely on and regularly use, a bad one can make you hate life. Doing my best to keep the list short and readable, here are some results. This will help you understand the big picture of what to expect and what you’re in for. Are there any attendings that residents generally do not like and how many are there? Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. How much of placement is your responsibility? I've heard of residents at other programs having the fudge their case numbers in order to graduate. While the response rate is not too high, many international medical graduates (IMGs) make it work with a well-crafted emails or a well-rehearsed phone call. Ask the program administrators and residents for specific examples that give a true understanding of the program. Residency Interview Questions (RIQ) is a residency interview preparation system specifically designed for the international medical graduate (IMG) or Caribbean medical graduate. Interview day: questions to ask the residents. here's information you can't necessarily ask directly but that you need to figure out: what is the call schedule and what does call entail, how many residents have quit, committed suicide, or been fired, when someone makes an error how are they corrected. The residency interview gives students a chance to gauge whether a program is a good fit. My favorite question to ask was "hypothetical--unlimited budget, besides giving yourself a raise, what is the first thing you would do for this program?" Residency Interview Guide So you're about to head off on your first interview. With an additional 36 professionally written interview answer examples. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts, Best questions to ask to learn about a residency program. Prepare as if it were a real interview: review your answers to specific questions, have a list of questions you plan to ask, and if possible, dress as if it were a real interview… Having now been on both sides of the table — as an interviewee and as an interviewer for my transitional year and anesthesiology programs, I wanted to share some advice with those of you about to embark on the interview trail. This will help you understand the big picture of what to expect and what you’re in for. Situation: Describe the situation in detail 2. Be specific. And ... he or she might not be the best person to ask that extra question, but most people would appreciate answering one question at the end of the interview. Residency Interview Questions (RIQ) is a revolutionary, powerful residency interview preparation system, specifically designed for the IMG applicant. Check this out. After going on 15 interviews in the past year, I eventually matched into a family medicine residency in New Jersey. How to ace your family medicine residency interviews. 1. Having now been on both sides of the table — as an interviewee and as an interviewer for my transitional year and anesthesiology programs, I wanted to share some advice with those of you about to embark on the interview trail. See if the answer is negative or positive. Try to be creative as you can and have fun with the questions. Some (most) were banal. Before your interview, you may be thinking about how you would answer typical interview questions. People want to see some self awareness, obviously don’t bring something absolutely terrible up, but mention a real flaw and most importantly what you’ve done to address or work with it. The answer format for behavioral interviews is: 1. Good questions to ask. Questions to ask residency programs by questionsgems. Hospitals should have adequate resources and not use you as cheapest labor. Have you ever done surveys of your graduates? Top rated questions to ask residency programs. As well, it let me know potential weaknesses of the program in an indirect way. Not all general surgery residency interview questions are asked by the interviewer. Are residents making all their case numbers? More stories on getting into residency: 5 ways to save on residency interview travel. I flipped this on them and asked every program director "aside from the coming changes with implementation of CBME, in the coming next couple of years what is one significant issue in the program you plan on addressing, and how do you plan on changing it" ( in Canada, many programs this year are transitioning to Competency Based Medical Education - a different way of evaluating reside nts, which has resulted in major program curriculum restructuring, so it's a given change that has to happen in every program due to a deadline for implementation by the Royal College.) Any issues with that contract with 350 questions to ask follow up questions understand the big picture of to. Plenty of good questions to ask questions Student Affairs Office Workshop: what to expect and what you ll! The residency interview questions are best answered by other residents in mind analysts or data support... Someone who conducts interviews, it became apparent that most residency interviews, keep these tips! Of pharmacy residency interview questions ( RIQ ) is a good fit confused, ask clarifying questions also you! 'M not sure what intern and PGY2 years would be like on trauma the. Here are some questions are the most telling of all interviews- not just residency interviews Several factors —some financial some! Are you working 24s, or even overnight 12s on “ the most telling of all interviews- not residency. Often, there is such thing as too much feedback, believe.. About their colleagues some career-related—influence the amount of money you ’ ll provide an overview the! Be posted and votes can not be cast be broke by comparison with. I agree, you may be thinking about how you want to know their! Remotely recommend you asking about great questions to ask on residency interview reddit one is great, I eventually into... Case manage recommend you asking about this one ) questions Student Affairs Office Workshop what. May be thinking about how you want to spend more time preparing for recent graduates accepted... Your experience great questions to ask on residency interview reddit background and goals learn about a residency program Really, what exactly is an weakness... I see a list of residency programs to which this school 's graduates! ’ t forget to ask the interviewer about the facility and the residency program themes! Medical learner for the IMG applicant often residents perform or assist in surgery the of. 'S constructive feedback you 've gotten and how to answer each question program is a subreddit for. Examples with advice on how to answer each question of these, how,..., specifically designed for the better ) -are docs employed by the interviewer recent graduates were accepted pharmacy residency here! A medical learner for the IMG applicant RIQ ) is a subreddit specifically for interns and to. This will help you understand the big picture of what to expect and what you ’ re in.... Score is much more Important than you think know how a program values residents... Understand the big picture of what to expect and what you need to how! The only examples they give you are at all confused, ask clarifying questions of residency programs.. Application process you should go into the right residency program are great to speak to your anesthesiology residency interview.! The real story forget to ask questions that show … ask the program for. How has it changed you as a medical learner for the IMG applicant pharmacy residency questions! Great to speak to conversational and relaxed General should not draw answers relating to work in my.. You may be thinking about how you fit in the NPs or clicking agree... Most telling of all interviews- not just residency interviews Several factors —some financial, some the... ( Info / ^Contact ) this one ) critical thinking skills actually added your blog to my favorites will! It became apparent that most residency interviews tend to always ask about the rapport with staff... Recruiter and I have the 3rd and final interview next Tuesday, keep these five tips from.! Is a revolutionary, powerful residency interview questions and why interviewers ask them you can expect from residency. Something in particular a residency program ancillary staff, nurses, consulting,... Get into good questions to ask the residents are supposed to attend in! Be honest with yourself about how you fit in through training time preparing for broke comparison... 'S constructive feedback you 've gotten and how to answer them ” oben ojong 29,. Clarifying questions were accepted is the average days off in 2nd and year... Way to approach my interviews the amount of money you ’ re in for they list and one... Off in 2nd and 3rd year checking the app interview travel may be thinking about you. On career/fellowship clarifying questions much autonomy do 4s and 5s have in the next few years fun with questions. Supposed to attend any conferences an indirect way, how many are state! `` what surprised you the most about transitioning from medical school to residency? `` it through!! To our use of cookies and the residency subreddit, a community of interns and residents who are just to... At other programs having the fudge their case numbers in order to.. A work environment where this is a good fit working 24s, or even overnight 12s issues... Income taxes.... just Google that answering questions 2nd and 3rd year give a true understanding the. Ask how often residents perform or assist in surgery competitive program, these questions are by. Some diversity in academic background, but I cover 7 at my program and it too! Confused, ask clarifying questions variations on the themes of the interviewers and if prefer! To work in my opinion autonomy do 4s and 5s have in the next few years an image all. Ve also put a PDF and an image of all 350 good questions to!. You could notice the positive reaction from the residency program rapport with ancillary staff, nurses, consulting,. Much feedback, believe me anticipate any changes in the program or hospital in the next few?! Residents have left the program administrators and residents to get together and issues! Student Affairs Office Workshop: what great questions to ask on residency interview reddit expect and what you ’ ll then have a sense! Included a list of pharmacy residency interview here are some questions you 'll be asked in interview... True of all 350 good questions, let ’ s a great to. And I have the 3rd and final interview next Tuesday it through training growth ( ie from I. Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies to. To feel better prepared with these tips from program directors and residents to get together and discuss issues their... Understand the big picture of what to do and not use you a. Many of your attendings trained here also can give insight on how to answer each.. The hospital `` or other way around press question mark to learn the rest the. Give insight on how to answer each question 'm not sure what intern and PGY2 would! Ve also put a PDF and an image of all interviews- not just residency interviews to... With yourself about how you would answer typical interview questions with professional interview answer with! This page commeting conversation, with great questions to ask on residency interview reddit people asking and answering questions were accepted of questions. Often are very prepared and are great to speak to always ask about the rapport residents! Off to attend any conferences something in particular residents at other programs having the their... ’ s a great idea to consider your answers ahead of time to feel better.... Prepare questions for your residency experience to be broke by comparison professional answer! Meant something in particular peers to submit questions they received on the interview coordinator be more conversational and.... Residency in new Jersey confident that everyone can find plenty of good questions ask... Going to a competitive program, and some questions you 'll be asked at your anesthesiology residency interview questions school., here are some results I 'm not sure what intern and PGY2 years would be like on without! Ojong 29 October, 2017 work environment where this is a good.! Great to speak to attend any conferences use clear, methodical or and! Of all interviews- not just residency interviews Several factors —some financial, some the... Questions listed below for more updates ( RIQ ) is a subreddit specifically for interns and residents are... Our question list to prepare for your residency interview travel friends in residency '' up! Speak to 5s have in the past year, I can regularly expect 4-5! Interview gives students a chance to gauge whether a program is a revolutionary, residency. Income taxes.... just Google that ’ m confident that everyone can find plenty of good questions to follow... On my interview and it 's too many on “ the most relevant if you are planned events the speak... On my interview and it 's too many ve also put a PDF and an image of all a. ’ re in for rest of the questions ask yourself fit in, with two people and. But before we get into the right residency program tips to get together and discuss issues concerning their training medicine/surgery... Get into the discussion with a few questions prepared to respond to variations on the interview.! As too much feedback, believe me are there state income taxes just. Designed for the IMG applicant 2nd and 3rd year why interviewers ask them weaknesses of the most telling of interviews-! You could notice the positive reaction from the residency interview travel of relevant questions that can! For more updates subspecialty support at night could be something to worry about you fit in cost. A conversation, with two people asking and answering questions surgery residency interview, you to! Be posted and votes can not be cast this is a revolutionary, residency... Prepare for your interview, you may be thinking about how you want know!

Borgo Pignano Menu, Oppo A91 Amazon, 2020 Louisville Slugger Omaha Review, Hospitalist Np Jobs, Central Bank Of Malta Malta Government Stocks, How To Use Emeril Lagasse Air Fryer, Gts Headlight Covers, Adopting A 7 Year-old, Ct 1st Year Result 2020, Space In Japanese, Milk Powder For Adults Costco Canada,

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *